To become visible with your community, you can work with and invite other organizations to work on service projects to heighten awareness of the American Legion Auxiliary’s local efforts to support our
Veterans, service members, their families and the community. Volunteer or organize service projects on ALA Days of Service. Volunteer at your local libraries, food pantries, domestic violence shelters, senior citizen centers, assisted living centers, nursing homes and for service projects and causes. Wear your Auxiliary apparel while doing so. Volunteer for your local Meals on Wheels especially on the holidays. Attend and represent the Auxiliary in holiday parades, grand openings and community leader recognition ceremonies. Be visible. Purchase shirts with the American Legion name or emblem to wear while volunteering. Review and implement the tips, ideas, and strategies in the ALA Service Not Self Volunteer Toolbox to be a better volunteer and offer well-rounded service projects for your local community. Register service projects on websites, community forums and social media to attract other community members to participate in your service projects. Volunteer for local service projects and work with your post home to offer space and their participation in local service projects and causes. Engage high school students (with or without service hour requirements to graduate) in ALA Community Service activities and/or projects.
Community Service Awards
Each application must include the cover sheet found in program Plan of Action.
UNIT AWARD: Unit Community Service Award
Type of Award: Citation
Presented to: One unit in Department
Materials and Guidelines:
- Entries must include the award cover sheet located in the Plan of Action.
- Awarded to the most outstanding overall Community Service program in the department during the 2016-2017 administrative year.
- Include pictures and newspaper articles.
- Attach an award cover sheet, including the name of the award, as well as the name and contact information for the unit and the unit’s Community Service chairman.
- All entries must be sent to the department chairman, listed above, postmarked by April 30, 2017. Entries can be emailed also to the chairman. Address listed above.
Always check out the resources available at www.alaforveterans.org