I'm looking forward to a great year of prayer for our ALA sisters. No matter what the need, great or small, God is there to answer our prayers and provide us with an answer.
I hope all of you will embrace the use of our prayer chain this year. There IS strength in prayer and we can make that happen this year as we pray for one another as well as for our veterans, our military and their families as well as for our country.
Our new National Chaplain this year is Valerie Debro from Georgia. I'm looking forward to working with her as well this year.
Let's keep President Sharon's motto in mind as we enter this new administrative year--Hearts On Fire For Veterans.
God bless you and God bless America!!❤️
Mary L. Sebben, Department Chaplain
642 S.E. Williams Ct.
Waukee, IA 50263
Purpose: To pray for the American Legion Auxiliary, its members and leaders for success in carrying out our mission; to guide members through prayer experiences that are appropriate for the situation; and, to act as spiritual ambassador of the organization.
President Sharon’s theme of “Hearts on Fire for Veterans” reflects the passion and dedication which members of our organization display every day. So, let us use our talents and work together to make the lives of our veterans, our military and their families better, knowing that we as the American Legion Auxiliary are always striving to serve them. “God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.” (1 Peter 4:10-11 NLT)
Best Book of Prayers and Inspirations:
Class I: District Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her District President
Class II: Unit Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her Unit President
Class III: District Junior Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for Junior Department President
Class IV: Unit Junior Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her Unit Junior President
Rules for all classes are the same with exceptions:
1. Use 8-1/2 x 11 paper. Pages should be typed (Junior’s – can be handwritten). Leave 1” border on all sides of each page. Use pictures or clipart to decorate.
2. Cover may be folder of your choice, notebook, construction paper or other decorative paper. Cover page must have “Prayers and Inspirations” centered and the American Legion Auxiliary emblem (available through Emblem Sales) at the top of the page.
3. The first page shall include the name and address of the member submitting the entry, the class category, unit name and number, county, district, and to whom the book is dedicated.
4. There is a maximum of 20 pages (40 if using both sides).
5. Judged on neatness, quality, creativity, and content. You may use President Sharon’s theme, symbol and songs. Book should have a theme tying all entries together.
Books are due to Department Chaplain Mary Sebben and postmarked by April 30, 2017. Books may be picked up at end of Senior or Junior Department Conventions.
2016-2017 Plan of Action
Plan of Action
Best Booklet of Prayers and Inspirations or “Thinking of You” booklet. (Used for nursing homes/shut-ins)
Class I: Any Senior Auxiliary Member Class II: Any Junior Auxiliary Member
Rules for both classes
1. Use 8-1/2 x 11 paper, folded in half. Size of booklet will be 8-1/2 x 5-1/2. You may use a 10” plastic photo album. Pages may be typed or neatly handwritten. Use pictures, your own artwork, or stickers.
2. Cover may be construction paper or other decorative paper folded to correct size. Cover must have “Prayers and Inspirations” or “Thinking of You” centered along with the American Legion Auxiliary emblem at the top of the page.
3. First page must include the name and address of the member submitting the book, class category, unit name and number, county and district. Maximum of 20 pages.
4. Judged on neatness, quality, creativity, and content. You may use President Sharon’s theme or personally-created theme. These are not judged by District Chaplains. Please submit your entry directly to Department Chaplain Mary Sebben.
Booklets are due to Department Chaplain Mary Sebben and postmarked by April 30, 2017. Booklets may be picked up at end of Senior or Junior Department Conventions.
REMEMBER: Units send report of deceased members to their County and District Chaplains. District Chaplains send deceased report to Department Chaplain by July 1, 2017. Each Unit Chaplain is encouraged to send a mid-year report to the Department Chaplain by January 1, 2017 as well as an end-of-year report by May 1, 2017 for purposes of the Department Chaplain reporting activities to the National Chaplain.
Please be sure to refer to the National Plan of Action for Chaplain for additional information.